Tenth GFMD Summit Meeting
"Towards a Global Social Contract on Migration and Development"
Berlin, 28-30 June 2017
As set out in the GFMD 2017-2018 concept paper, a key priority for the two-year Co-Chairmanship is GFMD’s contribution to the Global Compact on Migration (GCM) process. In this regard, the Tenth GFMD Summit in 2017 will be organized under the overarching theme, "Towards a Global Social Contract on Migration and Development,” which signals the imperative to address and balance the interests between migrants and their countries of origin, transit states and destinations, within the framework of regular and orderly migration.
The Berlin GFMD Summit will be structured around three themes, each with two roundtable (RT) sessions:
Migration and Development through National Strategies: Enhancing the Effectiveness of Domestic Policies
- RT Session 1.1. Tools and Safeguards for Policy Coherence – Finding the right policy mix to balance different interests and objectives
- RT Session 1.2. From Global Agenda to Implementation – National Action Plans for migration-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- RT Session 2.1. Moving beyond emergencies – Creating development solutions to the mutual benefit of host and origin communities and displaced persons
- RT Session 2.2. Fostering the development impact of returning migrants
- RT Session 3.1. Raising the Global Talent Pool – Harnessing the Potential of the Private Sector for Global Skills Partnerships
- RT Session 3.2. Strengthening Cooperation – Enabling Civil Society Contributions in Migrant Integration
Germany and Morocco are optimistic that the Tenth GFMD Summit will provide a valuable opportunity to advance the global discussion and cooperation on migration and development and, thus, look forward to the participation and contribution of all UN Member States and non-state partners in this regard.
Very sincerely yours,
Mr. Götz Schmidt-Bremme
Ambassador for the 2017-2018 GFMD
German Federal Foreign Office
Mr. El Habib Nadir
Ministry Delegate to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in charge of Moroccans Living Abroad and Migration Affairs
Open only for States Members and Observers of the United Nations, and GFMD Observers.
Note: Pre-assigned usernames and passwords have been sent to the country/organization’s GFMD focal points.
For any question / assistance: contact the GFMD Support Unit.