Bosnia and Herzegovina's Strategy in the area of migrations and asylum and Action Plan for the period 2016-2020
With the objective of defining comprehensive, sustainable and European standards-based policies in the area of migrations and asylum, the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina is continually developing, implementing and monitoring the implementation of strategic documents in this area. The primary goal of such efforts is to use obvious successes and results in work of the competent institutions in the area of migrations and asylum as the real potential in future planning of their activities in this area, so that the positive trends in management of migrations and asylum could be put into function of the Euro-Atlantic integrations of our state.
That task is particularly evident in the context of the Stabilization and Accession Agreement’s entry into force, which obligates Bosnia and Herzegovina in the area of migrations and asylum to cooperate intensively with the member states and institutions of the European Union in the areas of visas, border management, migrations and asylum. The Strategy in the Area of Migrations and Asylum and the Action Plan (2016-2020) is a comprehensive document based on all relevant indicators and factors in the area of migrations, and on real, reliable and objective assessments of migration flows and interests of Bosnia and Herzegovina in this area. Amongst those factors, particular importance rests on those that pertain to: geo-strategic position of Bosnia and Herzegovina, observed migration trends, constitutional legal framework, obligations arising from international treaties, movement towards joint migration policy of the EU and adopted policies of authorized bodies of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Representatives of the following state institutions and international and local organisations contributed to the Strategy:
- Ministry of Security (Sector for Immigration, Sector for Asylum, Sector for Border and General Security, Sector for IT and Telecommunications Systems, Sector for International Cooperation and European Integrations, Border Police of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Service for Foreigners' Affairs, State Investigations and Protection Agency)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ministry for Human Rights and Refugees
- Ministry of Civil Affairs
- Directorate for European Integrations
- Labour and Employment Agency
- EU Delegation to BiH and Office of the EU Special Representative to BiH
- Office of the High Representative to BiH (OHR)
- International Organisation for Migrations (IOM)
- International Criminal Investigative Training Assistance Program by the US Ministry of Justice (ICITAP)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- 'Vaša prava BiH' Association Sarajevo
- Governments of Switzerland and Lichtenstein supported preparation of the Strategy through the 'Migration Partnership' with Bosnia and Herzegovina, and International Organisation for Migrations (IOM), Mission to BiH, provided technical support.